Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Hello from the Raymond Family




I thought I would start by introducing myself ... I'm Amanda Raymond and my husband, Gary, is serving a 406-day IA tour in Iraq. He is a LT (O-3) in the U.S. Navy and we live in Prospect, Maine (for the time being). We have two kids, Olivia, 5, and Colvin or "Cole" who will be 1 year old next Wednesday (July 23). If all goes well, right now we have approximately 339 days left to go (but who's counting anyway, right?) and I think we are managing as well as can be expected. We have done deployments before, but this is by far the longest, and the first one with two children added in the mix. Olivia tells me everyday, "Mommy, I want Daddy. I want Daddy, please," with an emphasis on 'please' ... like I'm going to be able to make him appear because she said the magic word. It's so innocent and so sweet and breaks my heart every time. Cole is doing well, but I doubt he will remember Daddy when Gary returns. He's too small to understand what is going on, he just knows Mommy is here.

It is getting easier for us, we're almost at the 3-month mark, but by now, we are used to Gary being gone. It's still hard for me and is definitely overwhelming at times, but I try to look at the bigger picture. At least that is what I tell Gary. I created a blog to post pictures and talk about our experiences so that Gary could see them while he's away, but he emailed me yesterday and said it's getting harder because seeing the pictures on the blog, he realizes what he is missing, missing so much of our children as they grow ... and boy do they grow fast! This is an excerpt I wrote in my last email to him:


I am so proud of you for sacrificing everything you love to be there to do your
job and play your part in this big mess we are in with Iraq and for the
part you play in protecting our freedom and us. Think of that the next
time you are missing us and know that you are doing this FOR us. It's
definitely the bigger, selfless picture, and sometimes it's that perspective
that will get us through to the end.

Realizing that we are part of something bigger and greater than we are and that he is over there for the greater good, I think makes the separation easier to swallow. Or at least helps to justify it. There are so many who sacrifice, I think sometimes they, like Gary, need to be reminded of how they are preserving the ideals and the way of life that is important to us all, which effects all Americans (including us -- their families) while they serve and protect. It's easy to lose sight of that on a day-to-day basis.

Anyway, we have a preview of our episode approaching on July 27th ... it actually falls on the exact day 3 months ago that Gary left (April 27). I'm really excited about it and we are raising money for the Maine Troop Greeters, who see thousands of service members when their flights stop to refuel in Bangor, Maine on their way to or from the Middle East. They provide cell phones to call family members, snacks, hugs, handshakes and lots of support. No matter how brief their encounter, their presence makes a big difference. I'll report back with the success at the end of the month.

One last thought, I have to say how grateful I am for all they (the service members) do, wherever they serve, whatever role they play. So, thank you. For now, it's time for me to go. Until next time...

2 comments:

Alice said...

Amanda, you are truly amazing. Thanks for sharing your story with us. I can't wait to see you on our live premiere!

Deborah said...

Hi Amanda, Olivia and Colvin,
Thank you for sharing your blog with us. I am a wife and mother to 4 military soldiers, and our sons have been in Iraq a total of 8 times already. People ask if I am worried about them when they are gone, and I answer,'only every second of every day". I am also a troop greeter, so thank you for raising money for this great cause. I send bandanas with the 91st Psalm on them, so if you want to raise money for those.....I am getting ready to send 300+ over to the troops this week. I get emails every week asking if I can send more of them. They are $5 each.
Blessings to you and your family. Please tell your soldier we are thinking and praying for him. If you need anything, you have my email address.
Deborah
P.S. I live in Houlton, Me