Saturday, July 26, 2008

A Family Affair ~ Celebrate 1 Year





Today Gary's family came to help us celebrate Cole's first birthday (which was on Wednesday) and it was really great to see everyone. The sun was shining and there was a cool breeze blowing, with steaks on the grill (smells so good!) and cake in the oven, it really was the perfect setting. The kids really enjoyed playing with Memere (Gary's mom) and Pepere (Gary's Dad) and of course, eating cake! As you can see from the pictures, I think the frosting is Cole's favorite part. Happy Birthday, Colvin!

As I sat back with a smile on my face, surrounded by family and listening to them compare Gary to the kids, I felt like something was missing. Of course, I was right ... it was Gary. I love that we have so many great memories and thoughts of Gary, but sometimes it makes me miss him all the more. And although I put a smile on my face, I'm simultaneously fighting back the tears that would come if I let them. And the more I talk about, the more I have to face it and the harder it is.

It will be three months tomorrow (that he's been gone) and this is the first real milestone that Gary has missed. (Boy, Cole has really grown since Gary left!) I guess I have to revert back to the "bigger picture"... we'll have many more birthdays to enjoy with our children because of the job that he (and so many others) are doing. I am just thankful that we had an awesome day and now I can say we are 3 months closer to his homecoming ... and that is the greatest thought of all!

No comments: