Thursday, May 22, 2008

Who'd a thunk it.


There I was, a video production student at Ball State University trying to find a production internship out West for the summer, which might open doors in the documentary world. Through a series of connections I'm put in touch with a producer at BNF. In light of my past experiences and interest in production they bring me on as an intern/military consultant for a show in development. In Their Boots, they are calling it. I'm pumped about the premise of the show and the stories they are looking to tell. I agree to be a part of the team through the end of the year. My wife is originally from Cali and she's enthusiastic about being back out that way, so all systems are go. Until school let out they had me working over the phone and internet with various efforts. I was asked to submit a video reel applying to be the host, so they could use it for an example online, as the nationwide talent search kicked off. Little did I know how this would change things.

Now I'm on the other end of the gun. I've agreed to host IN THEIR BOOTS. It still makes me laugh thinking about it. My Mom has always told me I should try being in front of the camera, while I have usually worked behind it gathering stories. It will be interesting to see how it turns out. In a way I am well conditioned for the job. I have always been a people person and during my time in the Corps I interviewed hundreds of people and relayed endless stories, as part of my responsibilities as a combat correspondent. I had to become a good listener. I know that will be key in this assignment as well. I am excited about the opportunities to come, and the people I will meet as part of my job. The service-members we are working with have some incredible stories of hardship and triumph. I can't wait for the world to know their stories.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jan's being modest. We asked him to submit a sample audition reel for the show so we can use it in our nationwide talent search. Some of looked at his reel and said," Why do we need a talent search? We he have our host here." And the rest, we hope, will be history. .... Watch the show, everyone. July 2, 7 pm EDT/4 pm PDT.

Rick Perez,
InTheirBoots.com
Co-Executive Producer